What Causes Myopia?
Myopia occurs due to an abnormal curvature bend. The eye is normally round and smooth, similar to a marble. If you have myopia, your cornea isn't even and smooth. There are a couple of factors that can increase your risk of developing myopia.
- Genetics: Myopia tends to run in families. If one of your parents is nearsighted, there is a chance that you will be as well. If both of your parents are nearsighted, your risk increases significantly.
- Spending too much time indoors: Studies have shown that people who spend little time outdoors have a higher risk of having myopia than those who go outdoors often.
What Are the Symptoms Of Myopia?
The most common symptom of myopia is seeing objects in the distance as blurry. The other symptoms include:
- Needing to squint to see objects in the distance
- Needing to sit closer to the TV or in the classroom
- Being unaware of objects in the distance
- Excessive blinking
- Needing to rub your eyes frequently to see objects in the distance more clearly
How Can Vision Therapy Help?
Vision therapy is also known as vision training. It is a non-surgical treatment program where Dr. Blustein will work with you using eye exercises. Dr. Blustein may also use prisms, visual aids, and computer-assisted activities to improve the muscle strength in your eyes. The goal of vision therapy is to help develop your ocular strength and function to help treat your nearsightedness and the symptoms associated with it.
How Does Vision Training Work To Treat Myopia?
At ICARE EYEWEAR our goal is to help enhance your neurological system and visual systems. If they work together well, it can help improve your vision. The goal of vision therapy is to train your eyes and your brain to start working together. Dr. Blustein will work with you to strengthen your eye muscles and improve your vision. Our team's goal is also to prevent your myopia from getting worse.
What Other Conditions Can Vision Therapy Treat?
Vision therapy is great for treating myopia as well as other conditions of the eye. These include:
- Strabismus (eye misalignment)
- Amblyopia (binocular eyesight issues)
- Nystagmus (a disorder of ocular movement)
- Rehabilitation for patients with brain injuries
- Rehabilitation for patients with developmental delays
If you have myopia and want to improve your vision, our vision therapists at ICARE EYEWEAR can help through vision therapy. Over time, our team should be able to improve your vision successfully. Give us a call at (201) 684-9000 to schedule an appointment.